Programmed Engine Control Units and Powertrain Control Modules (PCM) for the Pontiac Grand Am
Reprogrammed engine control units and PCM information for the Pontiac Grand Am.
What is a PCM?
A PCM is a reprogrammed engine control unit, also known as a powertrain control module (PCM). It tunes the Grand Am computer for better performance.
Features of the PCM:
- Shifting points are raised and firmed.
- Skip shifting is enabled.
- Fuel & spark cables optimized to allow higher octane fuel.
- Top speed limiter is disabled.
- Temperature fans raised to work better with 180° engine thermostat.
- MAF tables adjusted to work with a Cold Air Intake (CAI) better.
A PCM is almost necessary for the Pontiac Grand Am. It will improve performance of your vehicle by giving it about 5-10 horsepower, and optimizing any current modifications that are done to the vehicle including a cat-back exhaust system or cold air intake.
There is also software available that allow the driver to tune the Grand Am computer more specifically for better performance, though this is only recommended to people who know what they're doing.
Pontiac Grand Am PCM Recommendations
- Digital Horsepower PCM from PFYC.com
A low-cost PCM with good performance gains.
- Power Train Control Modules from Intense Racing
"Don't make excuses, make horsepower." Intense Racing offers very customizable Grand Am PCMs for experienced drivers.
- Custom PCMs from MP Racing
Custom PCMs from MP Racing. The company does not currently support 2004+ Grand Am PCMs.